Tuesday 15 April 2008

Time to transplant

















The three 'Balcony charm' tomatoes fit nicely in the herb pots. The 'Green zebra' transplants made it into the new pots.



Broccoli 'Romanesco Natalino', finally. This is the first year;I'll see how they grow in pots.



I am trying one Broccoli 'Munchkin' transplanted to its final home. The other I'll put in the cold frame until it gets a bit bigger. I have read that they do not like being transplanted; so this will be a trial run. (I plant vegetables, herbs and fruit in pots.) (only flowers, shrubs etc., are in the garden beds because of space issues)


Only two Impatiens stayed in the original pot. It's funny how one is usually a bit larger than the rest. I will have a dozen plants for my hanging rail planter out front.

Three mystery plants in various stages of growth...are they weeds? Only time will tell.

8 Gardening or Inspiration:

A wildlife gardener said...

Planting seeds is so exciting. Nowadays I try to sow some flower seed broadcast to see how successful they will be.

I also try to limit myself to growing one packet of foxgloves and one packet of delphiniums as I always seem to have too many pots to look after throughout the summer. As these are both biennials, when they succeed it means I have a continual succession of these plants in the garden :)

a friend said...

Thanks for your comment. It can be hard to limit, but space sometimes dictates it.

A few years ago I broadcast a blue Nigella in a bare patch in the back. Although the dried seed heads were very interesting, it was a rampant spreader by seed. I ended up removing it and I'm still finding the occasional flower poking through here and there.

I have a couple of Astilbe's which I just trimmed back. I hear they spread by seed as well, I will wait to see. I do have garden space issues and just love variety ,so can't have too much of one thing.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Hello! I am so inspired by your tomatoes. I plan on trying a patio tomato plant this summer. I've never grown vegetables. Thanks for visiting my blog!

MeMeMe said...

Oh I'd love to watch them grow!

love,
jeannie!@

MeMeMe said...

Gail, can I transplant my annuals now? I know that I should wait til mid May, but my annuals are getting big. It goes down to the 50's at night - is this safe for the annuals? Been hardening them off.

Jeannie

a friend said...

You can try the hardier annuals first.(from your zone and lower) If nighttime temperatures stay above 50, you can plant the higher zones as well. If colder overnight temperatures threaten, you could always cover the annuals with sheets for some protection.(remove sheets in the day)
The spring temperatures have been below normal for here.(even below 50) But, I have Nemesia, Diascia and Fuchsia in a pot. (sheltered on my front steps.)

BrightBoy said...

Homegrown tomatoes are absolutely the best.

I'd love to do that, not just with tomatoes but with many different types of plants.

a friend said...

Thanks for all your visits.
Go ahead, today is the perfect time to start something new!