Friday 26 September 2008

Taste of Carmel,CA Tomatofest 2008.














My husband and I needing a vacation away from the kids, decided to drive down to attend the Tomatofest. ( Being that it may be the last time for this event, I didn't want to miss the opportunity.) Every parent needs to recharge once in a while and there really is nothing like a long drive.















While sampling from the heirloom tomatoe tent; I found a lot of the bi-coloured varieties such as 'Texas Star' or 'Burraker's Favorite' were sweet but very flavourful.




























'Paul Robeson' A bit mushy... but a good smokey taste. Most of the blacks had a nice smokiness to them.












My favourite...'Green Zebra',with a tangy-lime tomatoe essence. 'Hawaiian Pineapple'... has a melon pineapple top note and finishes with a mild tomatoe flavour.







Amazing variety!





My husband not a tomatoe fan, actually liked the smokiness of 'Black Cherry'. He's requested that we grow them next year. Now talk about a convert!


Heirloom varieties have such a range of flavour; sweet,tangy even smokey who would want anything but.




3 Gardening or Inspiration:

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Tomato overload!

Green Zebra is great. We liked the Chocolate Stripes tomato best - all the blacks have that amazing "smoky" complexity to them.

How about all that other food in the Chef's tents? Awesome.

a/k/a Nadine said...

Wow! I've never seen so many tomatoes in one spot. How cool! I definitely won't be growing the patio tomato I grew this year again. I'm planning on orange cherry tomatoes next year.

a friend said...

Nate-n-annie thanks for your visit.
I enjoyed Chocolate stripes as well as most of the blacks. Yes, awesome food! One of my favourite samples at the food tents was the Tomatoe Bisque.

Nadine, sounds like a sweet selection for next year. Have fun growing your orange tomatoe. You may even want to be daring and grow another variety as well.(if you have the space)